Monday, July 16, 2007

Thompson IS pro-life

Well, it has been a few weeks now since the whole "Fred Thompson is a pro-abortion lobbyist" thing came out. I havent commented on it up to now because, as a staunch pro-lifer, I wanted to see how things panned out. I had a hard time buying the whole thing and frankly didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it since his voting record was pro-life and I have heard on several occasions recently say he is pro-life and speak out on behalf of life issues.

That said, a good summary of the situation can be found in a LifeNews article by Steven Ertelt.
They can't find evidence that he did this, the LATimes, which I am sure looks for ANY reason to jab a conservative, had to recount part of the article. It was based on leftists saying that it happened. That said, could he have spoken to someone working on the issue for the pro-abortionists? Sure. As a lawyer, according to Thompson, he may have given consultation to another lawyer on the issue, but I think they threw this up and it didnt stick.

At least this "crisis" is based on a real issue and not an attack on the attractiveness of his wife.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think there's much doubt that Thompson was pro-choice in the early 90's, based on his own words on the topic in a 1994 Senate debate. But it's also apparent he was converted to the pro-life side long before his Senate career ended. We pro-lifers always pray for converts and work to convert people to our side. Given that he converted so long ago, and many years before he even thought of running for President, I have absolutely no problems believing it was a genuine conversion.

I believe Thompson was one of the many who was very uninformed about the issue so he settled into the PC pro-choice label but had no conviction behind it. And as he actually learned something about the issue he realized that abortion is the killing of a human being. I realize I'm speculating a little, but that's my take.

What's not in dispute is that Thompson has been pro-life for a decade or so and had an excellent pro-life voting record in the Senate. His record is far better than pro-abortion Giuliani, sorta pro-life McCain, and multiple-choice Mitt. I'm happy to support pro-life candidate Fred Thompson.

Anonymous said...

cincyjeff;

I hope your not mistaking Thompson's support for States Rights as Thompson being pro-choice. I'd like to know what his exact words were in that 1994 senate debate.

I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe that Thompson has been anything but pro-life, but if you have other information I'm open to hear it.

Unknown said...

Tape from a 1994 Senate debate is on YouTube. We'll undoubtedly see it more often as the race heats up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5a_Fpu_8KE

Anonymous said...

FDT says the birth of his two young daughters pushed him strongly and permanently into the pro-life camp. I believe him.